Upcoming closure of Area 1A for refurbishment (starting 10 June)
Posted: Fri, 5th Jul 2019
Please note: this page has been archived and is no longer maintained. Links may not work and any contact details may no longer be correct.
Resolved Jul 5th 2019 11:20
We have now been advised that the re-carpeting of Area 1A has been postponed until further notice. Area 1A will not now close at any point this summer.
We apologise for any anxiety or inconvenience the expected area closure may have caused.
Updated Jun 12th 2019 11:00
Estates have advised that the start date for the re-carpeting of Area 1A has yet to be confirmed with the contractor. We were originally advised that this work would start on 10 June and last for up to three weeks from that date: the work is still expected to take place this summer but we have no confirmed start date.
Once the re-carpeting work commences, we will lose access to Area 1A and all the stock therein (with class mark numbers 346-690, inclusive) will become inaccessible for several weeks while the work is carried out. We do not know how much advance warning, if any, we may be given before works commence. Since any books you borrow over the summer will not be recalled until 20 September at the earliest, we strongly suggest that if you suspect you might need books shelved in this area over the summer that you borrow them now.
Thank you for your understanding.
Updated Jun 11th 2019 11:32
This work originally advertised as running from 10-31 June 2019. The works have now been delayed but are still expected to begin in the next few days. The works will still last up to three weeks once they begin.
Work to replace the carpet in Area 1A of the Library will begin on 10 June. The work is expected to last for up to three weeks. While this refurbishment work is being carried out, there will be no access to the:
- Map Library – including the large format scanner
- Library Bloomberg terminals
- Printed books and DVDs with shelfmarks between 346-690
Please plan your work around this upcoming refurbishment work.
It will still be possible to reserve, recall and return all books during this period. Any books returned that are ordinarily shelved in Area 1A will be temporarily displayed on shelves in or near the Library Atrium. For many titles, ebooks are available to read online. Ebooks are available through the Library Catalogue and Discovery Service.
- Business – including Accounting, Leadership, Marketing, Management (all kinds)
- Engineering (all kinds) - including Communication systems
- Geography – including GIS, Physical Geography, Social Geography, and Disaster Management
- Health Policy & Services
- Health sciences – including Anatomy, Dentistry, Exercise Science, Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Physiology and Radiography
- Human Resources
- Languages – including English language dictionaries, thesauri, and other reference works
- Law (all books not in the Law Reference Collection with shelfmarks beginning 346-349)
- Mathematics - including many books on Statistics
- Sciences (Astronomy, Biology, Biochemistry, Cartography, Chemistry, Cosmology, Physics)
- Social work – including Social Policy and Social Care
- Surveying (all kinds)