Psychology - Finding Articles
For some assignments, our Discovery Service will give you enough sources to work with.
Sometimes you may want to try specific databases or journals – perhaps your lecturer has recommended particular names as a good way of finding articles. This page lists key sources for Psychology:
A major criminology abstracting service.
• Google Scholar not in Discovery
- A variant of Google that searches for academic literature
- Provides access to articles, books, conference papers and preprints
- Links to Full-text @ Portsmouth where available when settings are applied
- Simple or advanced searching allowing refinement by date, author etc
- A Library Guide to this resource is available
- Medline contain journal article abstracts with links to the full-text where available
- Subjects covered include veterinary medicine, pharmacy, allied health, and pre-clinical sciences. Plus life sciences, including some aspects of biology, marine biology, plant and animal science as well as biophysics and chemistry.
Medline is a biomedical database containing references and abstracts to the international biomedical literature. Medline’ major subject areas include nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, allied health, and pre-clinical sciences. Medline also covers life sciences, including some aspects of biology, environmental science, marine biology, plant and animal science as well as biophysics and chemistry.
- PDF Full text access to journal articles from the America Psychological Association
- Articles dating from 1894-present
- Find and access subject related articles for assignments, presentations and dissertations
PsycArticles is a definitive source of full-text, peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific articles in psychology. It contains articles from nearly 80 journals published by the American Psychological Association and others. Coverage spans 1894 to the present. This database is available on the EBSCO platform allowing you to search this database alongside others within Discovery.
- PsycInfo contain journal article abstracts with links to the full-text where available
- Locate articles from the psychological, social, behavioural, and health sciences subject areas. Useful for those looking for materials related to psychiatry, management, business, education, social science, neuroscience, law, medicine, and social work
- Keyword and Thesaurus searching with ability to refine results by date, peer reviewed, age, gender, author, language
- Cited reference search and links
- Help pages available
- This database is available to search on its own from the link above, plus you will find PsycArticle articles when searching Discovery
PsycINFO is a bibliographic database covering the research literature in the psychological, social, behavioural, and health sciences. It includes material of relevance to psychologists and professionals in related fields such as psychiatry, management, business, education, social science, neuroscience, law, medicine, and social work
• PubMed not in Discovery
PubMed comprises millions of citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher websites
ScienceDirect's extensive and unique full text database covers authoritative titles from the core scientific literature, published by Elsevier. More than 2,500 journals and more than nine million full-text articles are available in ScienceDirect providing access to the physical sciences and engineering life sciences. This resource is also available through the Discovery service. A Library Guide is available.
This is a large collection of science, technology and medicine related full-text and bibliographic information.
Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Delivering a comprehensive overview of the world's research output in the fields of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities. Scopus features smart tools to track, analyze and visualize research.
A key source for tracking down articles across the social sciences. This database is available on the EBSCO platform allowing you to search this database alongside others within Discovery.
Very strong on sociology and criminology topics.
Web of Science – part of the Web of Knowledge collection of databases – consists of a number of databases containing information gathered from thousands of scholarly journals, books, book series, reports and conferences. Three citation databases (Science Citation Index Expanded (1970-), Social Sciences Citation Index and Arts (1975-) and Humanities Citation Index (1975-)) also contain the references cited by the authors of the articles. You can use these references to do cited reference searching, allowing you to find articles that cite a previously published work. Conference Proceedings Citation Index – Science includes the published literature of the most significant conferences, symposia, seminars, colloquia, workshops, and conventions in a wide range of scientific disciplines.