Covid-19 adjustments to Library services
The Library has re-opened but in line with the need to maintain social distancing and operate in a COVID-19 Secure fashion some services have been suspended or will be operating with some restrictions. Anyone entering the Library may have their details passed to the NHS Test & Trace service if requested.
Please note that the information provided here may be changed at short notice. Any changes will also be notified through our News page.
- Access will be restricted to current members of the University of Portsmouth and its recognised partner institutions who are in possession of a valid access card. This means visitors and external library members will not be able to access the building.
- We are piloting a temperature monitoring system at the Library entrance
- There is a one way system in place in the building and a number of hand sanitisation stations.
- All visitors are expected to wear a face covering in the Library and respect social distancing
- Opening hours will be 0930 to 1700 Monday to Friday.
- Book returns to be brought to the Library - the temporary Student Union building 'Waterhole' return point will no longer be in use.
- Returned books will be quarantined for 72 hours, and will remain 'on loan' for this time.
- If a book is removed from the shelves and not borrowed then this will be handled as a returned item and quarantined for 72 hours.
- There are 43 PCs on the ground floor and currently none in the remainder of the building.
- The laptops normally available for loan from the library lockers will not be available until the start of term.
Services that will be available within the Library building
- Reception Desk
- Returning loans
- Borrowing loans
- Interlibrary loans
- IT support desk
- Study spaces (but not Group study rooms)
- Browsing book stock (note - any book removed from the shelves will be placed in quarantine if not borrowed)
- Printing and photocopying
Services offered remotely
- 24/7 online chat
- Support from the Faculty Librarians for students and staff
- Support from the Research Outputs team
Services that will NOT be available
- Group study rooms
- Postgraduate suite
- Shared booths will be either closed or for single person occupancy
- Temporary pass kiosk (you will not be able to enter the Library without a card).
- Library help desk
- Access to print newspapers or display journals (but you might like to try our new PressReader subscription as a partial substitute)
- Student/staff card printing (but the University is providing a home delivery service for replacements for lost or damaged cards)
- Laptop loans
- Posting books or photocopies for distance learners
- Library café
- Bloomberg and Eikon terminals (but there is an alternate access method)
The University's coronovirus information page