Covid-19 adjustments to Library services
The Library has re-opened but in line with the need to maintain social distancing and operate in a COVID-19 Secure fashion some services have been suspended or will be operating with some restrictions. Anyone entering the Library may have their details passed to the NHS Test & Trace service if requested.
Please note that the information provided here may be changed at short notice. Any changes will also be notified through our News page.
- Access will be restricted to current members of the University of Portsmouth and its recognised partner institutions who are in possession of a valid access card. This means visitors and external library members will not be able to access the building.
- We are piloting a temperature monitoring system at the Library entrance
- There is a one way system in place in the building and a number of hand sanitisation stations.
- All visitors are expected to wear a face covering in the Library and respect social distancing
- Opening hours will be 08:00 to Midnight 7 days a week.
- Book returns to be brought to the Library.
- Returned books will be quarantined for 72 hours, and will remain 'on loan' for this time. Consequently, loan allowances have temporarily been raised to 30 items for students to allow for further items to be borrowed.
- If a book is removed from the shelves and not borrowed then this will be handled as a returned item and quarantined for 72 hours.
- There are 43 PCs on the ground floor and currently none in the remainder of the building.
Services that will be available within the Library building
- Reception Desk
- Returning loans
- Borrowing loans
- Posting books or scanning chapters for distance learners, students with additional support needs and students who are self-isolating
- Laptop loans
- Interlibrary loans
- IT support desk
- Study spaces (but not Group study rooms)
- Browsing book stock (note - any book removed from the shelves will be placed in quarantine if not borrowed
- Bloomberg Terminals
- Printing and photocopying
- Library café
Services offered remotely
- 24/7 online chat
- Support from the Faculty Librarians for students and staff
- Support from the Research Outputs team
- Support from the Map Librarian (including copyright support)
Services that will NOT be available
- Group study rooms
- Postgraduate suite
- Shared booths will be either closed or for single person occupancy
- Temporary pass kiosk (you will not be able to enter the Library without a card).
- Library help desk
- Access to print newspapers or display journals (but you might like to try our new PressReader subscription as a partial substitute)
- Student/staff card printing (but the University is providing a home delivery service for replacements for lost or damaged cards)
- Eikon terminals (but there is an alternate access method)
- The SCONUL Access scheme is currently suspended
- Reservation of books out on loan
The University's coronovirus information page