Covid-19 adjustments to Library services
The Library is open but in line with the need to operate in a COVID-19 Secure fashion some services have been suspended or will be operating with some restrictions. Anyone entering the Library may have their details passed to the NHS Test & Trace service if requested.
Please note that the information provided here may be changed at short notice. Any changes will also be notified through our News page.
- From Monday 16th August we can welcome back visitors (i.e. non-members) to the Library. Visitors will be required to show photo ID and complete a day pass form. The day pass will register Library entries and exits for Test & Trace purposes.
- From Monday 29th March, staff and students wishing to access the library no longer need to show a text/notification of a negative Covid test result (either lateral flow or PCR) received within the last five days. However, we reserve the right to resume this where necessary (including spot checks) and you are strongly encouraged to continue to get tested regularly. If you have any questions please look at our negative testing FAQs. Testing for those without symptoms is available at the Spinnaker Sports Centre.
- If you have any Covid symptoms you must isolate immediately and arrange a test through NHS Test and Trace, you must not come on to campus or use any university facilities until you have taken a Covid test and received a negative result.
- From Monday 21st June, you no longer need to book to come into the Library
- Please bring a face covering when using the library, either a face mask or a visor if you are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons. The wearing of face coverings is strongly encouraged indoors, especially in crowded areas. The library will have a small supply of face masks and visors for library users who arrive without their own.
- There are hand sanitisation stations in place in the building.
- Opening hours will be 08:00 to Midnight 7 days a week during term time. Opening hours will be shorter during Vacation see here https://library.port.ac.uk/open/
Services that are available within the Library building
- Bloomberg Terminals
- Borrowing loans
- Browsing book stock
- Click and Collect service for books
- Interlibrary loans
- IT support desk
- Library café
- Meeting room
- Posting books or scanning chapters for distance learners, students with additional support needs, students who are self-isolating.
- Printing and photocopying
- Reception Desk
- Returning loans
- Scan and Deliver service for students not returning to campus.
- Study spaces (but not Group study rooms)
- Temporary pass kiosk
- Shared booths are reinstated
Services offered remotely
- 24/7 online chat
- Support from the Faculty Librarians for students and staff
- Support from the Research Outputs team
- Support from the Map Librarian (including copyright support)
Services that will NOT be available
- Access to print newspapers or display journals (but you might like to try our new PressReader subscription as a partial substitute)
- Group study rooms (except for the ground floor meeting room)
- Eikon terminals (but there is an alternate access method)
- Library help desk
- Postgraduate suite
- Reservation of books out on loan
- The SCONUL Access scheme is currently suspended
- Student/staff card printing (but the University is providing a home delivery service for replacements for lost or damaged cards and new staff can request a card via the IS ServiceDesk)
- Walk-in access service (for non-members)
The University's coronovirus information page