External membership of the University of Portsmouth Library is available to those who are not staff or students of the University.
Members of the public may use the University Library for reference purposes free of charge. Please bring some photographic ID with you and go to the Reception Desk. You will be asked to complete the Visitors' Book and will be issued with a Day Pass to enable you to access the Library.
To borrow from this library, you will need to become an External Reader and pay an annual fee of £50.00 for 12 months membership.
There are some External Readers who are not required to pay fees:
- Alumni of the University of Portsmouth: at any time during the first 12 months after you graduate from the University, you can apply for free External membership for 12 months. Thereafter, the standard annual fee is charged to Alumni.
- Retired staff
- Students and staff registered at another institution and who are entitled to join under the Sconul Access scheme.
- Regular reference-only visitors. If you are a regular visitor, you may apply for an External Reference card.
Note that restricted access to the Library may be applied during the academic year in the run up to the examination period. This is reviewed each year, depending on the dates of the University’s Formal Exam Period and on use of the Library building, but usually falls during April / May. Restricted access to the Library is limited to our students, staff and fee-paying External members only.
Your External card must be brought with you every time you use the Library, as this identifies you as a valid library user and allows you to gain access to the Library through our entry turnstiles. As a registered library user, you will be allowed only one cardless visit to the Library each academic session (August – July each year).
- This cardless visit is offered at any time that the Library staff are on duty (i.e. 0900 – 2100 Mon – Fri, 1000 – 1600 Sat – Sun during term-time). You will need to provide alternate ID to claim this cardless visit.
- Please do ensure that you bring your External card with you on your next visit: failure to bring your card will mean that you will not be able to enter the Library.
If you have any questions about external membership of the Library, please phone 023 9284 3228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any further questions about External membership of the University Library
- If you would like to apply for External membership of the University Library
External membership of the University Library does not include access to our networked pcs, to the University's wifi or to our printing services. Visitors may access a limited range of e-resources using our Walk-in Access service