Map library resources v.3
The Map Library provides a comprehensive collection of geographic information, including maps, atlases and electronic resources. The majority of the collection is reference only, although some maps, for example a complete set of folded OS Landranger and a growing number of OS Explorer maps and British Geological Survey maps, are available for loan. Most items in the collection are currently not listed on the library catalogue so, if you have any mapping requirements, just come along and ask the Map Library staff who will search the collection for you.
- Complete Ordnance Survey topographic coverage of Great Britain at 1:250,000 and smaller.
- Complete Ordnance Survey topographic coverage of Great Britain at 1:50,000, with the purchase of local sheets at each new revision.
- Complete Ordnance Survey topographic coverage of Great Britain at 1:25,000
- Comprehensive Ordnance Survey topographic coverage of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight at 1:10,000.
- Comprehensive Ordnance Survey topographic coverage of Portsmouth District at 1:1,250 or 1:2,500.
- Medium and small scale world mapping for areas of specific interest in support of fieldwork and research.
- Almost complete geological and soil survey coverage of Great Britain
- Facsimiles of early maps (ie pre 1900) of the Portsmouth area that are of significant historical, cartographic or local interest.
- Historical maps including OS County Series (1843-1939) for most of Hampshire, the Isle of Wight and parts of West Sussex
Admiralty charts for the Solent and its approaches, Portsmouth, Langstone and Chichester Harbours.
Significant coverage of the home waters around the British Isles at various scales.
Map Library staff can provide advice about the use of the EDINA Digimap service, which provides online access to current and historical OS maps and data. You can register for this online at http://digimap.edina.ac.uk
A selection of national atlases, thematic atlases and general world atlases.
Gazetteers for the world, Great Britain, and selected countries. A number of map-related texts, including guides to various Ordnance Survey map series, may be consulted in the Map Library. Please ask the Map Librarian for details.
Late 20th Century air photo coverage of Portsmouth at various dates.
Photo mosaics of Portsmouth 1945-48 (mostly as JPEG files on disc, but some as prints at 1:1250 scale).
Location and Contacts
University Library First Floor, in the rear corner opposite the Dentistry building.
The expected opening times for the current week are shown on a sign displayed on the Map Library help desk. Opening times are generally as follows:
Monday 11:00-13:00 14:00-17:00
Tuesday -Thursday 09:00 - 13:00 14:00 - 17:00
Friday 09:00 - 13:00 14:00 - 16:30
It is a good idea to contact the Map Librarian to make an appointment.
David Sherren, Map Librarian
023 9284 3655
- Map Library leaflet (pdf file for downloading)