Dentistry - Finding Articles
For some assignments, our Discovery Service will give you enough sources to work with. Sometimes you may want to try specific databases or journals – perhaps your lecturer has recommended particular names as a good way of finding articles. This page lists key sources for Dentistry:
- CINAHL (the Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature) contain journal article abstracts with links to the full-text where available
- Locate articles from the nursing and allied health subjects
- Keyword and Thesaurus searching with ability to refine results by date, peer reviewed, age, gender, author, language
- Cited reference search and links
- Help pages available
- This database is available to search on its own from the link above, plus you will find Cinahl results when searching Discovery
CINAHL, the Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature, is the most comprehensive resource covering the research literature of for nursing and allied health subjects
• The Cochrane Library not in Discovery
- The Cochrane Library is a collection of databases that contain high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making and is the leading source to support evidence based practice
- Locate systematic reviews, clinical trials and find abstracts of economic evaluations of health care interventions.
- Keyword and Thesaurus searching with ability to refine results by database searched;
- The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- The Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects,
- The Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials
- The Cochrane Methodology Register
- Health Technology Assessment Database
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database.
- Help pages available
- This database is available to search on its own from the link above, plus you will find Cochrane results when searching NICE Evidence
The Cochrane Library is a collection of databases that contain high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. Cochrane reviews represent the highest level of evidence on which to base clinical treatment decisions. In addition to Cochrane reviews, The Cochrane Library provides other sources of reliable information, from other systematic review abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials; all the current evidence in one single environment
Dentistry & Oral Sciences Source provides dental practitioners and researchers with a definitive place to carry out their online dental literature research. The database contains cover-to-cover indexing and abstracts for 210 journals and dozens of monographs. It includes indexing for all dentistry and oral sciences journals commonly purchased by dental schools and other related institutions. Dentistry & Oral Sciences Source also includes an unprecedented collection of important full-text journals, as well as dozens of full-text monographs. The collection includes more than 160 full-text journals, including many of the top ranked titles in the discipline.
• Google Scholar not in Discovery
- A variant of Google that searches for academic literature
- Provides access to articles, books, conference papers and preprints
- Links to Full-text @ Portsmouth where available when settings are applied
- Simple or advanced searching allowing refinement by date, author etc
- A Library Guide to this resource is available
- Medline contain journal article abstracts with links to the full-text where available
- Subjects covered include veterinary medicine, pharmacy, allied health, and pre-clinical sciences. Plus life sciences, including some aspects of biology, marine biology, plant and animal science as well as biophysics and chemistry.
Medline is a biomedical database containing references and abstracts to the international biomedical literature. Medline’ major subject areas include nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, allied health, and pre-clinical sciences. Medline also covers life sciences, including some aspects of biology, environmental science, marine biology, plant and animal science as well as biophysics and chemistry.
• PubMed not in Discovery
PubMed comprises millions of citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher websites
Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Delivering a comprehensive overview of the world's research output in the fields of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities. Scopus features smart tools to track, analyze and visualize research.