Accessing another library
Portsmouth students and staff who wish to access another Library
Go to www.sconul.ac.uk/sconul-access and follow a few simple steps:
- Tell the system what kind of library user you are (staff, full time post graduate, distance learner etc) and the name of the library at which you are employed or registered as a student (you will need to scroll down the list until you find University of Portsmouth).
- Find a library will show you all potential host libraries, either as a map or a list. You can modify your search to find libraries in a particular region or near a postcode.
- Choose your first host library by clicking on the name; this will give you details of the institution and allow you to select Apply for access. This will lead you to an online registration form for the scheme which you can submit to the University of Portsmouth, your home library, for approval.
- Use the side menus for more details of the scheme.
- Staff here at the University of Portsmouth library will process your application, generally within three working days. We will check that you are a registered user with no outstanding fines or problems.
- Once your application is approved you will receive an email from Sconul confirming that you are eligible for the scheme. Some users such as undergraduates will be eligible for reference access only.
- Take a copy of the email and your student/staff card to any libraries that you wish to join. You may also need to take a passport-style photo with you.
- Each host library will issue you with a library card so that you can borrow books from them or gain reference access until your SCONUL Access membership expires.
Remember to check the website of your host library for crucial information such as opening hours before you visit.