Issues arising from Library fire
This page has been archived and is not actively maintained. Some links may not work and some information may no longer be current.
On Wednesday Jan 4th 2023 a fire occurred in the main Library entrance area, causing a closure of the Library and the loss of some services. Most services have
been restored, however significant repair work is required to the entrance area which currently has the following impacts:
- The main entrance will have to remain closed for the time being. Access is currently through an alternative entrance in Ravelin Park, near to the Dental Academy. Please follow the signs that will take you from the main entrance through Ravelin Park to the temporary entrance at the rear of the building. You will need to show your University or External Membership card to the member of the Security team on duty in order to gain entry. If you do not have your card, there is a service in place for forgotten cards, but only when Library staff are on duty.
- Visitors may access the building only when Library staff are on duty, and must bring an approved form of ID.
- Registered users collecting a card should identify themselves as they enter the building. Staff will be able to issue cards when on duty.
- There is no access to the toilets by the main entrance, though others are available throughout the building.
- Bookings for use of space in the Library foyer, or the area outside the main entrance have been cancelled, and no futher bookings will be accepted until further notice.
- Where possible, bookings for use of space in the atrium will be honoured, though exact locations may need to be changed. No new bookings will be accepted until further notice.
- The Book Nook is closed.
- The building may be colder in some areas as we are ventilating the building to reduce the smell of smoke.
- Unfortunately, construction work is likely to create some noise. We can supply re-usable noise cancelling earplugs if required, and there are other places you can study on campus if it gets too noisy.
This page will be updated with any changes to our service provision as they occur until such times as normal service is fully restored. We apologise for any inconvenience.