Borrowing from the Library
Borrowing Library Items
You can easily borrow Library items using our self service systems in the Library Atrium whenever the Library building is open. The self-service kiosks are powered with RFID technology that allows you to issue all the items you need all at once and minimal touching of the screen.
Details of borrowing entitlements for students and staff can be found under Further Information below.
Additional arrangements are in place to support borrowing for Distance Learners.
Returning Library items
Please note: In line with the need to maintain social distancing and operate in a COVID-19 Secure fashion returned books will be quarantined for 72 hours. During this quarantine books will remain flagged as 'on loan' in the Library catalogue. The quarantine will also be applied to books removed from shelves but not borrowed (e.g. left on tables).
There's a book on my library account which I think I've lost/returned/which has been stolen
If you let us know about this, the book will become a 'loan query'
What we will do:
- Check on the shelves
- If we find the book, we will tell you
- If the item has not been found or handed in, you will be sent a notification with the replacement cost of the item
- If payment is not received, you will be invoiced by the University Finance Department who will pursue this matter on behalf of the University Library
What you should do:
- Check at home, in your department and with your friends and colleagues immediately
- If you find the item, return it to the library
- You can continue to borrow books whilst you have a query on your library account. Your ability to borrow is suspended only if you do not respond to our notifications.